[TSG-Access-RD] Draft deck for Kobe

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Mon Feb 25 20:17:37 UTC 2019

After thinking about it a bit more, I think I’ve discovered an issue. It goes back to what I said during the face-to-face about the need for the AE and the TE to have access to the same underlying requestor data because the authorization code doesn’t transmit any information about the requestor or the bits they’ve elected to share with the relying party. That’s maintained in some local state that both the AE and TE need to have access to, so separation of these functions to different operational entities might not work well in practice.

In an attempt to address this I’ve just added two docs to our Google drive with a named prefix of “Mermaid Diagram SAH 2019-02-25”. Please take a look. You’ll see that I’ve combined the AE and TE bits into an IdP actor, and added a new “Authorization Service” actor that can be called by the Proxy to examine the RDAP query and the tokens to make an authorization decision that’s returned to the proxy for action. I *think* this is what the ICANN staff participants have described, so please correct me if I have that wrong. If this is, however, correct, the diagram Gustavo created needs an edit: removal of the arrow between the Authorization Service and the client.

Scott