[TSG-Access-RD] [Ext] Re: Bulk Data, Bulk Query, WhoWas and Charter scope

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Fri Jan 4 17:08:59 UTC 2019

Quoting Francisco:

">     > As described in the second paragraph of the charter (purpose
> section) the registry/registrar will only see a request from ICANN.
> There will be no interaction between the requestor and the registry/registrar."

and

"> I was talking about the queries for non-public data. Queries for
> public data, should continue to be served directly by the registry/registrar."

As I understand it, Francisco (I believe Ram also mentioned it in our first call) is describing an operational model in which ICANN will operate an RDAP service that is intended to be the public-facing source of information for gTLD-related non-public data. Registries and registrars will be expected to provide a public-facing service for public data, and some form of non-public (details TBD; perhaps with client authentication, for example) service for ICANN's use to retrieve non-public data. Clients will need to submit two queries to form a complete RDAP response: one must be sent to ICANN's service for non-public data, and the second must be sent to the appropriate registry/registrar for public data. Assuming I've described it correctly, I'm trying to understand if this model is a suggestion or a requirement.

Scott