[TSG-Access-RD] Notes from TSG-Access-RD Meeting #5 - 29 Jan 2019

Diana Middleton diana.middleton at icann.org
Wed Jan 30 01:24:31 UTC 2019

Dear all,

See below for notes from meeting #5.  Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,
Diana

**************************

Technical Study Group on Access to Non-Public Registration Data
Meeting #5
0900 PST / 1200 EST / 1700 UTC

Attendees:  Jorge Cano, Tomofumi Okubo, Steve Crocker, Andy Newton, Gavin Brown, Scott Hollenbeck, Jody Kolker, Murray Kucherawy, Benedict Addis, Ram Mohan, Diana Middleton, Eleeza Agopian, John Crain, Francisco Arias, Yvette Guigneaux, Gustavo Lozano

Apologies:  N/A

During this call we discussed the following items:

• Presentations to groups on TSG’s work:
o We should be able to present the outputs of our work to groups (requests from Andy/Benedict so far via IETF, NCSG, PSWG?)
o We need to get a deck of what we want to say and present
o Initial version of deck provided by ICANN staff, TSG to review and sign off
o At Kobe we’ll be presenting to multiple groups

• Should the TSG spec be fully formed or not?
o We ought to make this a fairly, well-defined, decent level of quality specification
	// It sets the model for what any final, eventual specification ought to be
	// Even if the final result ends up being changed from what we thought of, hopefully it will be incremental vs dramatically different. Aka work we do can inform what takes place
	// We are spending time, money, effort on this so we have a responsibility to build a detailed spec here since we don’t know what the final policy decision is going to be. Thus, we work with what we know and make it as technically solid as possible
o Whatever we produce should have lengthy intro/background that lays out foundational topics to what we are building that is understandable to non-technical audience

• Review of the Unified Requirements Document:
o Andy reviewed document’s contents and how they were captured
o This document should be published as a draft version
o Missing requirement: CPH notified why the data is being requested.
	// Per Scott, could be resolved by amending 2a to add: "The system MUST be able to associate attributes with an identity that can be used to determine an end user's level of authorization for every query. The system MAY transmit such attributes to parties that store the non-public data.”
	// We make it an option in the spec and put an asterisk by it to note this to be added/decided by policy makers and not technical folks
o We are not looking to decide on policy discussion of multiple levels, just creating the spec to accommodate if it does go that way
o ICANN gets full data, ICANN filters out fields according to the user profile
	// ICANN provides CPH some kind of record locator, or pointer that they can use to reference
	// Failure mode of non-public data made available to non-authorized party – there are failure aspects in different areas of the system, but it’s not going to stop the model where ICANN is the filter

• AOB:
o February’s F2F – who’s not attending (only Murray)
o Upcoming blog on our last F2F – possibly published later this week

ACTION ITEMS:
• ICANN org to prepare presentation deck about what our group is doing for TSG group to review/sign-off. – Eleeza
• Amendment to requirement document:
	o 2a, find and add text provided by Ram on Identity Attributes (see notes). – Scott/Andy
	o Discuss and add language on the CPH receipt of record locator/pointer topic to requirements. – Scott/Andy
• ICANN org to publish DRAFT unified requirements document. – Diana
• Draft Preamble to document. – Scott/Andy