[technology taskforce] Mobile Seminar

Chris Gift chris.gift at icann.org
Mon Mar 28 16:03:43 UTC 2016

Interesting, that’s for sharing Glen. From our experience I will add the following:
On our 2013/14 revamp of the website we pushed for an application feel and went with a custom front end (Ruby on Rails).
Custom is difficult and requires a dedicated development team that becomes intimately familiar with the problem set. We can’t afford an onshore dev team so we outsourced and that has caused issues.
Custom is much slower that using a CMS with some out of the box app functionality. We seriously underestimated the time to simply keep up with demand of things we must do, forget experiment on new features.
We are now pivoting and returning to an out of the box CMS and will eventually remove the custom front end.
Chris Gift
ICANN
M +31.06.2787.6232
Twitter @cgift