[technology taskforce] Fwd: [ALAC-Announce] ICANN News Alert -- Attention Adobe Connect Users: Service Change (Action Required)

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:10:37 UTC 2016

Hi, Beran,

It wouldn't make the caption pilot program redundant - persons are still
needed to scribe the live conference calls after all. One key benefit as
the announcement points out and Josh Baulch mentioned at the TTF meeting at
ICANN56 (see transcriipt at http://sched.co/7Mdz is that ICANN can deploy
custom pods in the Adobe Connect rooms instead on relying on the standard
pods available in the hosted service of Adobe Connect that ICANN has used
in the past.

So the chat pod can be replaced with a chat pod that uses machine language
translation so participants can see machine translations of the chats
without having to copy and paste to an outside translation tool. And these
custom pods could be done in HTML5 and not Adobe Flash meaning that these
pods would be accessible for mobile users. Many standard pods in the hosted
service of Adobe Connect such as the captioning pod used in the pilot, the
polling pod used for surveys can't be seen by mobile users.

There will be a TTF call with Josh Baulch to fully discuss the impact of
the changeover.

Dev Anand