[technology taskforce] Transitioning ICANN's Remote Participation Platform to Zoom

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Apr 3 22:30:30 UTC 2019

Dear Judith,

the problem is that the SSAC is mostly people from developed countries.
My biggest two concerns about Zoom are (a) the lack of ordering of hands
up when people put their hand up and (b) the lack of chat history when
you enter a zoom room: you cannot read the discussions that have already
taken place, so it's hard to find out references that have already been
put in the chat. Plus there appears to be less windows in Zoom than in
Adobe Connect - but perhaps a more extensive use of sharing of documents
& further "notes" windows could take care of that.
Kindest regards,

Olivier

On 03/04/2019 23:59, Judith Hellerstein wrote:

> HI Olivier,
>
> The ICANN Meetings team has been working with Zoom to correct those
> issues and I believe they have worked on them as they would not have
> made the switch without doing this work.  In the blog Ashwin writes
> that the SSAC had been using zoom the entire time.  We need to hear
> more about this from them and the TTF has been working closely with
> Sara Caplis from ICANN's IT team and with our Liaison Mark Seagal.  We
> plan to have them on a next TTF call to talk about this switch and
> this will be a good opportunity to ask these questions to them and see
> what answers they can provide
>
> Best,
>
> Judith

> Judith Hellerstein, Founder & CEO
> Hellerstein & Associates
> 3001 Veazey Terrace NW, Washington DC 20008
> Phone: (202) 362-5139  Skype ID: judithhellerstein
> Mobile/Whats app: +1202-333-6517
> E-mail: Judith at jhellerstein.com   Website: www.jhellerstein.com
> Linked In: www.linkedin.com/in/jhellerstein/
> Opening Telecom & Technology Opportunities Worldwide
>
> On 4/4/2019 12:41 AM, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond wrote:
>> Dear Dev,
>>
>> thanks for reporting this. A while ago, when Adobe Connect was faced
>> with security problems, ICANN briefly interrupted the use of Adobe
>> Connect and replaced it with both the use of Webex and Zoom. The
>> result was not particularly positive and the vast majority of people
>> were happy to return to Adobe Connect, which is a lot more powerful
>> than Webex and at least keeps some form of order to the order in
>> which people put their hands up. Zoom has some serious shortfalls for
>> meetings with a large number of people --- and it does not offer
>> local dial up in many countries around the world.
>> I am very surprised about this choice.
>>
>> How do you all rate Zoom vs. Adobe Connect?
>>
>> Kindest regards,
>>
>> Olivier
>>

>> On 03/04/2019 23:09, Dev Anand Teelucksingh wrote:
>>> just as Adobe is starting to switch to HTML5 from Flash
>>>

>>> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/transitioning-icann-s-remote-participation-platform-to-zoom
>>>
>>> After careful consideration, ICANN org has decided to transition our
>>> official remote participation platform from Adobe Connect to Zoom.
>>> In January 2019, we entered into a contract with Zoom to license its
>>> product for widespread deployment. Plans are being executed now so
>>> that we can completely replace Adobe Connect & PGi by ICANN65 in
>>> Marrakech, Morocco. Our intent is to run ICANN65 using Zoom as our
>>> sole web conference platform.

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html