[technology taskforce] How to network outside Zoom sessions?

Raitme Citterio rcitterio at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:07:35 UTC 2020

Greetings to everyone

On this interesting point, I would like to comment a little on my
experience in some virtual socialization environments

A few years ago, second life was an excellent 3d environment for events and
interest group socialization, however, this tool is not exactly inclusive
for the following reasons

 - It requires a bandwidth of at least 10 mb to be able to have a good
experience, (this unfortunately is not possible in many regions of the
world where they do not even have half this minimum).

- requires having a computer almost at a gamer style level, configuration
that is usually quite expensive for most.

However I would like to share a similar to REMO but simpler and much
cheaper to make meetings of more than 25 people for the price works in
terms of the amount of time per participant connected.
https://gather.town/pricing

They also allow to create 2D environments where they have different style
pre-configurations (Campus, schools, offices) as well as allowing to create
their own configurations.

The interesting thing, to my evaluation that allows to create inside that
space, interactive elements to promote the virtual collaboration. since it
foments the gamification of all the spaces. also it allows to create
personal spaces for the assistants. I think that this differentiating
factor can be interesting to explore (also has the typical for meetings
chat, audio, video)

https://gather.town/features

Most importantly, you can have spaces for small groups of up to 25 people
for free as long as they are used regularly.

If some people want I can create a test space for those who wish to enter
and test it.

Best regards

Raitme Citterio
4FE7 B994 C1CF 2815 at pgp