[twochar_comments] Comment on New gTLD Requests for Release of Two-Character Letter/Letter Labels (.eg)

Dina Barakat dina at scu.eg
Wed Mar 25 19:53:25 UTC 2015

Dear ICANN Staff,

On behalf of the .eg TLD registry, I object to the release of the "eg" label under the TLD in the subject.

EG is the ISO country code for the Arab Republic of Egypt. The use of "eg" is known to the internet community, especially in Egypt and the region, to be linked to entities that are government-related, officially registered, or directly verified and approved by Egypt's official offices through an established process, and based on a clear contractual framework.

Therefore, the release of the two-character "eg" label at the second-level under new gTLDs  may at this stage generate significant confusion at multiple levels, and may put users in doubt, and would jeopardize set policy. The use of ".eg" domain at second level should hence be bound to cases where the new gTLD registry operator reached an agreement with the relevant government.

Hence, on behalf of the .eg TLD registry, I request the use of the label "eg" under the TLD in the subject remain reserved. The Government of Egypt in cooperation with .eg ccTLD manager will examine the need for formulating a new policy to address this issue, and might hence revisit the matter at a later stage.

We would appreciate being informed of the decision taken in regards to our objection.

Kind regards,

Dina Barakat

.eg Registry Manager

Egyptian Universities Network

www.dns.eg<http://www.dns.eg>

Address: Egyptian Universities Network,
Supreme Council of Universities Building,
Cairo University Campus,
Giza 12612 - P.O. Box: 268 Orman,
EGYPT

Mobile no.:+ 201142906576