[twochar_comments] Release of "pt" and "Portugal" under new gTLDs

Ana Neves Ana.Neves at fct.pt
Thu May 21 13:42:22 UTC 2015

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing hereby to submit Portugal government's comments on the release of the ccTLD "pt" and country name "Portugal" under any of the new gTLDs announced by ICANN.

We object to the release of "pt" and "Portugal" as SLD under all the new gTLDs for their registration by the corresponding Registry operators. As we have already enlightened, the geographical names and acronyms are for Portugal issues that need protection, so we believe that it should not be allowed to register under the new gTLDs.
On the other hand, a case by case assessment (e.g. porno or .site) may incur in an unequal treatment that will be difficult to justify. Therefore, Portugal objects to the release of "pt" or "Portugal" as SLD under any new gTLDs for their registration by the corresponding Registry operators.
Portugal reserves the right to change position in this regard in the future.
PT will continue to closely follow the evolution of the market and of the technical and political framework to collect data and evidence to better understand the consequences of such release.
Best regards,
Ana Neves
Ana Cristina Amoroso das Neves vcard<http://www.umic.pt/vcard/an_dsi.vcf>
Director
Department of Information Society
FCT  Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia
              MINISTÉRIO DA EDUCAÇÃO E CIÊNCIA
Av. D. Carlos I, 126 - R/C
1249-074 Lisboa
Tel: +351 213 911 555/6 - +351 213 924 300 (geral)
Fax: +351 213 956 519
Email: ana.neves at fct.pt<mailto:margarida.ribeiro at fct.pt>                       http://www.fct.pt<http://www.fct.pt/>