timezone magic number

Valery Aronov valery at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Apr 27 23:49:14 UTC 1995

Daniel Quillan wrote:

> I have one comment regarding the timezone file format.
>
> Why not use a few of 20 remaining bytes in tzh_reserved field for a
> magic number that would be unique to timezone data files?  4 bytes at
> the beginning of the file would be great, but if you're concerned
> about space then 2 bytes would do the job if selected carefully.

I would like to add that we need it to be PERSISTENT: even if timezone
would not exist anymore its magic number should be preserved. It
makes possible to use them for database storage.

Valery
--
Valery Aronov                 ,-_;\            Telstra Australia
ph  (61-2) 395 33 59         /     \             Telecom Plaza