Krasnoyarsk timezone?

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Tue Apr 23 12:09:32 UTC 1996

   From: "Andrey V. Glukhov" <andrey at ennet.krasnoyarsk.su>
   Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 07:52:58 +0800

   I understand that Krasnoyarsk timezone is equal to registered Tomsk
   timezone now. Do the registration of Tomsk timezone hinder to registrate
   Krasnoyarsk timezone?

Thanks for your letter.  As far as we know, the clocks in Krasnoyarsk
and Tomsk have agreed since 1970.  Usually the tz database contains
just one entry for each country's region if that region's clocks have
all been the same since 1970.  The region is usually identified by the
location with the most people, as described by the rules near the
start of the `africa' file.

In Russia's GMT+7 time zone, my vague impression was that Tomsk has
the most people, but I'm afraid I don't have any population figures.
Is some other city a better choice for the GMT+7 region?  If so, we
should change the tz entry's name.

Is there a good source of population statistics for Russia on the Web?
The best I found was <url:http://www.intr.net/cpss/demo.html>, but it
contains population by oblast, not by city.