Russian data

Chris Carrier 72157.3334 at CompuServe.COM
Tue Dec 3 04:35:24 UTC 1996

Paul Eggert wrote:

Thanks.  I edited your message down to the following: is it OK if I
include this in a future revision of the `europe' file?

# From Chris Carrier <72157.3334 at CompuServe.COM> (1996-12-02):
# On 1929-10-01 the Soviet Union instituted an ``Eternal Calendar''
# with 30-day months plus 5 holidays, with a 5-day week.
# On 1931-12-01 it changed to a 6-day week; in 1934 it reverted to the
# Gregorian calendar while retaining the 6-day week; on 1940-06-27 it
# reverted to the 7-day week.  With the 6-day week the usual days
# off were the 6th, 12th, 18th, 24th and 30th of the month.
# (Source: Evitiar Zerubavel, _The Seven Day Circle_)

This is OK; I didn't know how much material to include, because the topic of
discussion of the list is the clock, not the calendar, but Gregorian and the 5
and 6 day week experimental calendars were mentioned so I thought I should
refine the data.

I think the reason that the Russian Orthodox adhere to the Julian calendar,
even today, is because Easter is getting steadily later under it.  Easter is,
after all, a spring festival, and late March in most of Russia is still snowy
and very cold.  By placing Easter in the date range April 4 - May 8 instead of
March 22 - April 25 it's more springlike.

Chris Carrier