Timezone change for Mexico: the Presidential Decree

Alan Perry Alan.Perry at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Feb 15 17:05:48 UTC 1996

A guy from our Mexico subsidiary finally found the Presidential Decree
outlining the timezone changes in Mexico.

I finally got my hands on the Official Presidential Decree that sets up the
rules for the DST changes. The rules are:

1. The country is divided in 3 timezones:
   - Baja California Norte (the Mexico/BajaNorte TZ)
   - Baja California Sur, Nayarit, Sinaloa and Sonora (the Mexico/BajaSur TZ)
   - The rest of the country (the Mexico/General TZ)

2. From the first Sunday in April at 2:00 AM to the last Sunday in October
   at 2:00 AM, the times in each zone are as follows:
   BajaNorte: GMT+7
   BajaSur:   GMT+6
   General:   GMT+5

3. The rest of the year, the times are as follows:
   BajaNorte: GMT+8
   BajaSur:   GMT+7
   General:   GMT+6

The Decree was published in Mexico's Official Newspaper on January 4th.