Extracting timezone for a particular location

llovero at camb-lads.loral.com llovero at camb-lads.loral.com
Wed Jun 12 15:43:01 UTC 1996

Hello -

I am a software engineer working on a government project that needs
timezone information for particular locations.  It is an application
that uses Advanced Distributed Simulation and sets up "wargaming
scenarios" in different areas of the world.  Each exercise is played
on a different terrain database that represents a different part of
the world.  What I'm looking for is a way to take a location and look
up what time zone it is in (the actual information I need is offset
from UTC).  I cannot depend on any environment variables being set
because subsequent exercises may be run on different terrain
databases.  Any data files need to work on both big-endian and
little-endian machines, so the comment in the tzarchive files about a
new binary versions of timezone information intrigued me.

The software needs to be public domain so it can be released with the
project. Thanks for any info you can provide.

- Linda Lovero

--------
Linda Lovero
Lockheed Martin Advanced Distributed Simulation     Phone: (617)441-2009
50 Moulton Street				    Fax:   (617)441-2069
Cambridge, MA 02138		email:  llovero at camb-lads.loral.com