Timezone naming

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Tue Nov 26 19:16:49 UTC 1996

   From: J Wunsch <j at uriah.heep.sax.de>
   Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:04:20 +0100 (MET)

   However technically correct your choice for CET might be, it breaks
   tradition, and is in general something people here will consider a
   ``US-centric'' decision.

Actually, if anything, `MET' is the US-centric name, since it was chosen
by an American, whereas `CET' was championed by a European.

It wasn't an easy decision to change `MET' to `CET'.  However, when I
researched the subject I found that `CET' was by far the most popular
name in real-world tradition; the `MET's that I found were usually
derived from the tz database itself, and were thus suspect.  I'll send
you some of my results under separate cover (I already sent it to the
tz mailing list).

If you're having backward compatibility problems, you can set TZ='MET'
and you should continue to see `MET'.