UTC vs GMT

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Fri Oct 4 18:53:44 UTC 1996

   Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 21:24:47 -0500
   From: kuhn at cs.purdue.edu ("Markus G. Kuhn")

   What is UCT supposed to mean and why is it defined there? I have never
   heard this term before. Is it supposed to be "Universal Coordinated
   Time"???

Yes.  I don't know where that phrase and abbreviation came from; at
first I thought they were typos but they are in actual use.  If you
look for "Universal Coordinated Time" on the Web in Alta Vista you'll
find about 300 hits, as opposed to about 1000 for "Coordinated
Universal Time".  Perhaps the phrase is an alternative back-formation
from the committee-compromise acronym `UTC'.  Or perhaps it's the US
military; e.g. see
<URL:http://tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil:8000/htdocs/dodinfo/acronyms/u.txt.html>,
which mentions both UTC and UCT.