Happy Leap Second!

Antoine Leca Antoine.Leca at renault.fr
Mon Nov 24 14:59:54 UTC 1997

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:59:60 -0700, Chris Newman wrote:

> I hope everyone enjoys their extra second!  This also serves as a test
> to see what really happens if there is a "60" for seconds in the date
> header.

Hi,

I just browse old messages, and I find yours.
Thanks for providing it, but in order to serve as a test, it doesn't
seem to be accurate.

I don't think this is the correct date/time for the leap second
(the month and the timezone indication are wrong), unless I deeply
misunderstand the problem.

I have received it with the following headers:
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:59:60 -0700

BTW, this is a direct download from
<ftp://elsie.nci.nih.org/pub/tzarchive.gz>; the message appears to
have been sent on June 30th, but too late in the night.  But I can't
figure how the month turned to July in the "Date:" header. Perhaps was
it wrongly handled or stored at elsie? or was it a initial failure?

My mail client displays it with the full string as you gave,
but the resumé changes it to "97-07-31 09:00", which is correct for
my timezone.

Can someone forge a message with the correct timestamp, in order to
do real tests?

Antoine