Updated UK history of Summer Time

Joseph S. Myers jsm28 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 12:43:10 UTC 1998

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Peter Ilieve wrote:

> - The Summer Time Act, 1925
>
> This makes the 1922 Act permanent, with a change to the end date to the
> day after the first Saturday in October. Came into force on 7 August 1925.
> As the 1922 Act expired on 31 December 1923 unless Parliament did something
> about it, there are presumably some missing Orders for 1924 and 1925.

The 1922 Act does not seem to give a power for extension or varying dates
by Order in Council.  Instead, the Act was extended, along with several
others, by the Expiring Laws Continuance Act, 1923 (13 & 14 Geo. 5. c. 37)
to 31 December 1924, and then by the Expiring Laws Continuance Act, 1924
(15 Geo. 5. c. 1) to 31 December 1925.

[...]

> An Order in Council amending the The Defence (Summer Time) Regulations, 1939.
> This continues summer time throughout the year after it starts in 1940.
> There was another Order (SR&O 1940, No 172) that I assume had merely
> changed the dates, and was then superseded by this one. I haven't seen
> No 172.

Order No. 172 is indeed omitted from the annual volume as superseded.

> - SR&O 1944, No 932
>
> This changed the end date of double summer time to 17 September 1944.
> (I don't have the text of this, just a note of what it did, the text almost
> certainly had the `day after the nth Saturday' form.)

This order is omitted from the annual volume as spent (with just that note
about its effect).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28 at cam.ac.uk