new time conversion interface

D. J. Bernstein djb at cr.yp.to
Tue Nov 3 16:09:52 UTC 1998

Nathan Myers writes:
> I believe that conversions should yield a struct containing
> a reference timestamp, followed by up to four offsets tagged with
> official wall-clock offset, interpretation, and confidence values.

How exactly do you expect programs to use this information?

I can imagine a warning such as ``The time is jumping from 2:00 CDT back
to 1:00 CST; I assume you meant 1:30 CDT; if you actually wanted 1:30
CST, type 1:30 CST.'' But this doesn't use your vague ``confidence
values''; it uses hard data about the time zone.

---Dan
1000 recipients, 28.8 modem, 10 seconds. http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail/mini.html