Proposal for new ISO C 9x time API

Antoine Leca Antoine.Leca at renault.fr
Fri Oct 2 13:39:22 UTC 1998

>    Related problem: What is the semantics of decimal fractions of minutes
>    and hours during a leap second. These are obviously illdefined and a
>    neat solution is not possible
>
> Why not?  The day is just 1 second longer, so you use a denominator of
> 86401 instead of 86400 when computing the fraction.

(or 86399)

Gulp!  I did not catch this one, when I wrote yesterday that
struct xtime can be adequate for inputting TIME_TAI values.

Clearly, if you use a TIME_TAI value stored in struct xtime, you
should not use fractional specifiers for strfxtime, because the
result might be wrong if the corresponding period of time in
the UTC scale include a leap second.

Antoine