libtai versus xtime

D. J. Bernstein djb at cr.yp.to
Sun Oct 4 18:06:16 UTC 1998

Markus Kuhn writes:
> > > xtime_get can fail
> > In libtai, tai_now() and taia_now() always succeed.
> I think this claim is a bit unrealistic.

RTFM. These functions return their best guess as to the current time.
Accuracy is a quality-of-implementation issue.

> The only common hardware
> platform where a correct and robust implementation of your libtai is
> possible would be a GPS receiver that has been running for at least 12
> minutes with an antenna outside a building.

Where do you get these absurd ideas? libtai works with whatever clock is
available. There's nothing special about GPS.

> If it is not TAI, then please do not call it TAI,

It is TAI. See http://pobox.com/~djb/proto/tai64.txt.

---Dan
1000 recipients, 28.8 modem, 10 seconds. http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail/mini.html