new UK proposal

Peter Ilieve peter at aldie.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 20:29:46 UTC 1999

The following letter appeared in the Independent (a UK `quality'
broadsheet paper) on 31 March, so was presumably not an April Fool
(although I have my doubts :-):
---
Time for reform

Sir: I cannot be the only person who felt disoriented on Sunday
morning after losing an hour's sleep, but who was grateful for the
prospect of lighter evenings. Nevertheless, I feel that permanent
British Summer Time would not be appropriate because of excessively
long dark mornings in Scotland, and the loss of October's extra
hour in bed would be hard to bear.
  May I therefor suggest that the country adopts Greenwich Mean Time
in the mornings, and BST in the afternoons? The clocks could go
forward after lunch and back around 2am. This would reduce the
working week (currently far too long for most people) and give
everyone an extra hour in bed every night. Evenings would be lighter,
and mornings not too dark in winter. Why has nobody thought of this
before?

John Parker
London N3
---