US vs. European Date Notation

Dik.Winter at cwi.nl Dik.Winter at cwi.nl
Sat Jan 30 00:39:38 UTC 1999

 > He would be very interested into any pointers of the history of these
 > three date notations, and actually I am quite interested as well. Why do
 > Americans write dates as "December 31, 1999" while Europeans write "31
 > December 1999", etc.? Why are in East Asia Bigendian dates more common?

I wouldn't know the why, but Hungary is also bigendian.  Not so
surprising, in the names the christian name also follows the
family name, so you have the "Street Chopin Frederic" (loosely
translated).

dik
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj  amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
home:  bovenover 215, 1025 jn  amsterdam, nederland;   http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/