GMT Delta Confusion

Richard L. Shockney rshockney at ibm.net
Wed Jun 9 23:16:50 UTC 1999

Thanks markus! As I suspected...

Yuk!

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Kuhn [mailto:Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 1:45 PM
To: rshockney at ibm.net
Cc: tz at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Subject: Re: GMT Delta Confusion

"Richard L. Shockney" wrote on 1999-06-09 17:42 UTC:
> I recently designed a time zone converter and reference site using the
> excellent database that is maintained at this site. Conversions between
time
> zones appear as expected except when the time zone involves one of the
> Etc/GMT+ or Etc/GMT- designations.

The sign of the Etc/GMT+-... files is as defined in POSIX.1

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/volatile/posix-1-8-1-1.pdf

for the TZ environment variable, which many people consider to be
counterintuitive and also incompatible to the ISO 8601 notation

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html#zone

Hope this helped

Markus