FW: Brazilian Time Zones and DST

Stefan Johansson jason at stefan-johansson.com
Thu Nov 4 00:18:46 UTC 1999

Dear Paul,

Comments to what you wrote below:

1) As can be seen from the screen shot attached, taken only 6 minutes ago,
Brazil has NOT been updated according to Decree 3188, it is still according
to Decree 3150. Cuiabá, Fortaleza and Maceió have DST, meaning Yes instead
of No in the table. Furthermore, Roraima is not taken care of rightly, there
is the need to add a zone Boa_Vista.

2) Yes, São Paulo is very much bigger than Brasília, in fact it is the
biggest city in the whole of South America, BUT everyone in Brazil knows
that the official time in Brazil is called "Horário de Brasília", i.e.
Brasília time. I think that justifies changing the zone name to Brasília.

3) Palmas is the capital of Tocantins. It has 86,000 inhabitants. Araguaina
is bigger right now, with 106,000 habitants, however Palmas is the city that
is growing and soon will be the biggest city in the state of TO.

Best regards,

Stefan Johansson