St. Johns

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Thu Sep 23 15:40:42 UTC 1999

   From: "Olson, Arthur David (NCI)" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov>
   Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:01:13 -0400

   A correspondent was surprised by the "America/St_Johns" time zone
   which was taken to provide information for the city in the United
   States Virgin Islands rather than for Newfoundland.

They were confused about more things than one.  St Johns is in Antigua
& Barbuda, not in the US Virgin Islands.

   Should the name of the zone be changed?  Alternately, should an
   "America/St_Johns_USVI" be provided?

St_Johns is indeed a troublesome name, but I'd wait for signs of
confusion from others before doing anything about it.  If we do need
to disambiguate, I'd suggest renaming the Newfoundland entry instead.