FW: Update on Australian Time Zone changes for Olympics

Alex LIVINGSTON alex at agsm.edu.au
Tue Aug 15 02:02:01 UTC 2000

I don't have time to check the latest tzdata, but

1. South Australia, if it does stick to its habit of the last several
years (and there is renewed debate about that, I heard this morning),
will start daylight saving on the last Sunday of October, and not
September 29. Correct me if I'm wrong, but DST has never been started
at the end of September in Australia (at least not in the 30+ years
I've been living here).

2. the Worldwide Holiday & Festival Site,
http://www.holidayfestival.com/, seems to believe that Broken Hill
(or the shire that contains it, which I can't remember the name of
right now) will be starting daylight saving with the rest of NSW.
This I do not believe: it would make it an island of UT+10:30 with
UT+09:30 to its west and UT+11:00 to its east. Does this reflect the
current tzdata? If so it needs to be corrected. It would be
extraordinary in the extreme for Broken Hill not to stick on the same
time as South Australia, as it has done for I don't know how long.

3: Tweed Heads is contiguous with Coolangatta in Queensland, which is
at the southern end of the (City of?) Gold Coast. There is a suburban
street that runs along the border between NSW and Queensland with
(residential) houses on both sides of it. The runway of Coolangatta
airport also extends into NSW. Tweed Heads is also in the same local
telephone area as the Gold Coast.

--Alex

--
Alex LIVINGSTON

Facsimile: +61 2 9931-9349 / Telephone: +61 2 9931-9264
Time     : UTC+11---[last Mar. Sun.---UTC+10---[last Aug. Sun.---UTC+11---

At midday today, Tuesday, August 15,
   time since epoch (1-1-1 at 00:00:00) is
     730346.5 days = 1999.62079988 average Gregorian years
   time until 3rd millennium, 21st century, 201st decade, 2001st year is
     138.5 days = .37920012 average Gregorian years