The science of timekeeping

Oscar van Vlijmen o.van.vlijmen at tip.nl
Sat Aug 19 11:30:54 UTC 2000

August 11 Paul Eggert wrote:

> Dennis D. McCarthy and William J. Klepczynski's proposal to do away
> with leap seconds, originally published in GPS World last November, is
> now available on the Web in PDF form....

This is an interesting article.
On the last page you will find a couple of references to other articles, one
of which is "The science of timekeeping" by Allan, Ashby, Hodge;
Hewlett-Packard Application Note 1289.

The URL isn't valid anymore, but I found the current URL:
http://www.tm.agilent.com/classes/MasterServlet?view=applicationnote&apn-Ite
mID=1000000363&language=eng&locale=US

>From the annotation:
"... brings together the history and the science of today's hyperfine
timekeeping benefits, needs, and expectations. [...] this application note
promises to be a classic reference for decades to come."

In my opinion: 88 pages of very useful information.

The URL given above will link to a PDF file, which was damaged when I
downloaded it. HP couldn't find the problem, but if you experience the same
problem, you will find that HP's feedback is willing to provide a solution.

Regards,

Oscar van Vlijmen
2000-08-19