New Mail List - timezones.external at software.com

David Madeo David.Madeo at msdw.com
Fri Feb 4 16:28:31 UTC 2000

Hi,

Since I'm on both ietf-calendar (http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/) and a lurker
on the tz mailing list (ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/), perhaps I can offer a bit
of clarification here.  As everyone on both lists realizes, timezones is one of
the major "gotchas" of scheduling.

The tz list is indeed focused on the detective work of determining the changes in
timezones, both historical and current.  The ietf-calendar list is focused on
developing the standard representation of calendar data  and the protocols to
allow calendar applications to share calendar data easily.

In order to ensure that two calendar implementations can interoperate, both need
to look at the same database of timezones.   Since we're drafting the CAP
(Calendar Access Protocol) now, we need to point Calendar implementors at a
timezone standard, which of course doesn't exist.

The TZ database appears to be the closest thing available, an excellent example
of volunteers doing a much needed job.   The problem is how to reference it in an
RFC?

I won't speak for Doug, but I believe he intended to leverage the tz mailing list
and the packaged updates, but use the IANA as the "official" repository for
standards to reference.   The current tzdata ftp site, a US government
organization which has nothing to do with timezones, doesn't allow web pages.
Why not find a permanent home for this with the IANA (www.iana.org) which has
"Dedicated to preserving the central coordinating functions of the global
Internet for the public good" as its motto.

dmadeo