POSIX time_t study group created

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Sun Feb 20 05:18:12 UTC 2000

The Open Group, which is drafting the next POSIX.1 standard, has
formed a mailing list for issues relating to the standardization of
new time_t primitives.  The idea, I believe, is to invent a new time
type, which would be an integer count of nanoseconds since an epoch
(or something close to that).  This would assume the availability of
64-bit integer types, as required by the 1999 C Standard and common in
recent C implementations.  It's not clear to me whether this new type
would be in the next POSIX.1 standard, or the one after that.

I'm forwarding the following announcement of this new mailing list
with permission from Andrew Josey of the Open Group.