proposed changes to tz for Israel, Lord Howe, web page, etc.

Joseph S. Myers jsm28 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 20 22:16:44 UTC 2000

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Paul Eggert wrote:

> The British Internet top level domains disagree with ISO 3166.  ISO
> 3166 lists only "GB"; but the British Internet TLDs are .uk, .gg, .je,
> .im, and .ac (for Ascension).  This is for historical reasons.  The
> corresponding ISO 3166 codes are reserved for future use -- I suppose
> it's in case one of the Bailiwicks declares independence.  (:-)

Ascension is actually a dependency of St Helana, a colony with its own ISO
3166 recognised code (SH) (now I might wonder why St Helena's other
dependency, Tristan da Cunha, doesn't seem to have its own TLD); other
colonies also have their own ISO 3166 codes.  Now I might wonder whether
the ISO 3166 criteria for dependent territories are documented somewhere?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28 at cam.ac.uk