ISO 3166

Infoman Inc. mpereira at istar.ca
Wed Feb 23 23:49:31 UTC 2000

When it was agreed, almost a decade ago, that ISO 3166 should be split into
a three part standard, the intention was that Part 1 would contain only
"countries", i.e.nation-states, Part 2 Subdivisions was supposed to contain
all entities which are parts of countries (e.g.dependencies, etc.) as well
as anomalies such as territories, trusteeships, etc. which various Part 1
countries administer on behalf of the UN and/or which have a
special/peculiar relationship with a country (= full member in good standing
of the of the UN , e.g. Taiwan  no longer is). ISO 3166-3 focuses on
historical.

Unfortunately this "rationalization" did not happen. Too much "politics".
One result is that ISO 3166-1 continues to contain codes for entities which
are not countries. As a matter of fact some the "same" entities appears two
or even three times with different codes (check out "St.Pierre and Michelon"
French islands of the coast of Newfoundland.

When the IP addressing schema was established, ICANN simply referenced ISO
3166-1 country codes believing that it contained only countries (top level
domain names did not have the importance significance they later turned out
to have.) We continue to suffer.

A new ISO/IEC standardization work item has been approved to address the
problem of existing code lists containing entities with different attributes
(or instances of several different object classes).It is titled
"Identification, Mapping and IT-enablement of Existing Standards for Widely
Used Encodable Value Domains".

This NWI is being started via ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32 Data Management and
Interchange, WG2 -Working Group 2 Metatadata. I will be its project editor.

If you interested in this work and similar problems with existing code sets
used in commerce/e-commerce which are "organically grown". Contact the
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32/WG2 group in your country (e.g. via your national
standards association) [or as a last resort contact me]  - Jake Knoppers
<<mpereira at istar.ca>