New Mail List - timezones.external at software.com

Doug Royer doug at royer.com
Fri Feb 4 19:32:58 UTC 2000

It is very important that when scheduling across timezones that
users across those time zones use the same time zone definitions.

FYI: The biggest OS and application vendors on Microsoft and UNIX
have applications out -now- that understand VTIMEZONE. This includes
Outlook, Lotus Notes, Netscape Calendar, Sun, and the list goes on.
Oracle is active as are other database vendors. iCalendar
and VTIMEZONE have been in the works for years. There are
also many other vendors coming up now on the internet that
are supporting this format.

It would be a little less critical if the data was a month or
two out of date. Each side if using VTIMEZONE, would know
when it was going to happen.

I could write a batch job that woke up once a week to see
if the Olson database  had changed, if it had, run the
converter to VTIMEZONE and send IANA email. I think that
IANA could also do this without my help.

-Doug

> From: CHancuff at aol.com
> Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:18:03 EST
>
> In a message dated 2/4/00 9:48:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk writes:
>
> > It is much less likely that the respective countries will report
> > timezone changes directly to IANA officially.
>
>     I may be the very least qualified on this mailing list to comment
>     (since the only other time I've posted concerned my intense
>     interest in discovering the time zone observed by an island
>     which spends 6 months/year underwater) but ...
>
>     I can see the advantage of having a web presence to which
>     reports, rumors, and hearsay can also be reported, then brought
>     to this list for scrutiny.  Perhaps a form page, where such things
>     can be entered.
>
>     I'm trying to imagine the "signal to noise" ratio of a central
>     reporting venue like this one, but I can't.  It might be worth a try.
>
>     Cliff Hancuff
>     www.ClearDaySoftware.com

-Doug
Doug at Royer.COM                  http://royer.com/People/Doug
Text Pager:                     pager at Royer.com
801 W. El Camino #131
Mountain View, CA 94040         Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL