International date line

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Jan 3 15:26:10 UTC 2000

"Law, Gwil Jr." wrote:

> When Kiribati adopted a uniform date in 1995, thereby moving the Phoenix and
> Line Islands to the west side of the IDL (or, if you prefer, moving the IDL
> to the east side of the Phoenix and Line Islands),

We do, I think, prefer the latter.  No matter how sovereign the government
of Kiribati may be, it is not in the business of moving islands!

> The straight-line boundaries between Pacific
> island nations that are shown on many maps are based on an international
> convention, but are not legally binding national borders.

I'm confused.  Does this mean that there are overlapping claims to sovereignty,
or what?  What is a "legally binding national border" anyway?

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>