International date line

Law, Gwil Jr. Gwil_Law at Bridge-Point.com
Mon Jan 3 16:15:46 UTC 2000

John Cowan wrote:

>> Niue, to take a simple example, is shown in my Rand McNally International
>> Atlas surrounded by a rectangle extending from approximately 166.5 to
170.5
>> degrees West, and 17.5 to 23.5 degrees South.
>
> Okay.  And this bounding box is defined by an international convention?
> Or is it just RMcN's convention?

I think it's an international convention.  That's based on something I read
several years ago.  I don't have any reference for it at this date.

As I tried to state, my original posting on this topic was more than mere
speculation, but less than authoritative.

Gwillim Law