FW: Longitute/Latitute to TIME zone

Alex LIVINGSTON alex at agsm.edu.au
Fri Jun 2 05:16:05 UTC 2000

Muhammad,

I'm not sure what "heading" has to do with it. Is that the direction in
which travel is proceeding? If so, it doesn't affect your "time zone". Only
longitude affects that. You can calculate your actual mean-solar-time
offset from Greenwich in hours simply by dividing your longtude in degrees
by 15. For longitudes east the answer is in hours ahead of Greenwich and
for longitudes west the answer is in hours behind Greenwich. If you want to
calculate the nearest whole-hour time zone offset, you can simply round the
answer from the previous calculation to the nearest hour. For example, I
live and work at longitude 151 degrees and about 15 minutes east. That
means the time by the sun here is 10 hours and about 5 minutes ahead of
Greenwich. The nearest whole-hour time zone offset is thus 10 hours ahead
of Greenwich.

--Alex

_______________
Alex LIVINGSTON
Macintosh and Lotus Notes Support / Information Technology (IT)
Australian Graduate School of Management (AGSM)
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 / Australia

Facsimile: +61 2 9931-9349 / Telephone: +61 2 9931-9264
Time     : UTC+11---[last Mar. Sun.---UTC+10---[last Aug. Sun.---UTC+11---

At midday today, Friday, June 2,
  time since epoch (1-1-1 at 00:00:00) is
    730272.5 days = 1999.41819476 average Gregorian years
  time until 3rd millennium, 21st century, 201st decade, 2001st year is
    212.5 days = .58180524 average Gregorian years