FW: Longitude/Latitude to TIME zone

Alan Pritchard apritchard at cix.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 12:20:00 UTC 2000

I'm sorry, but this just not true, and is very misleading.

Longitude is, at best, only a /very/ broad indicator of the time zone. If your message was true, then you (in Australia) would not have the
Broken Hill situation, and SA & NT would be on +9 (and not +8:30).

The actual pattern of time zones is fundamentally based on countries and provinces. In fact, in real-life time zone terms, I think that I
would go so far as to say that the 15 degree boundaries serve no useful purpose whatsoever.

Best wishes
Alan Pritchard
The GLOBAL GAZETTEER: the world on file
http://www.allm-geodata.com