Nunavut (northern Canada) changes time zones again

Infoman Inc. mpereira at istar.ca
Thu Nov 30 16:38:33 UTC 2000

Jesper,

Nunavut is the former eastern part of the North-West Territories which spans
several times zones and had the same. The time zones used reflected the
North South business travel and communication connections the people living
in the North had. Thus the Eastern part of what is now Nunavut has trade and
travel links with Montreal and Toronto (EST). The "western" part of Nunavut
has its trade and travel connections with Winnipeg() which is CST. In both
cases they have traditionally used and followed the time zone and "daylight
saving" time of their trading partners to the South. It also meant
simplified time schedules for North <-> South travel each set using the same
time zone.

In short, to understand the problem, "look South" as the equivalent "North"
uses those time zone.

Further it was impossible for the original NorthWest Territories to have a
single time zone, thus having more than one time zone was not a "political
issue". The establishment of the new Territory of Nunavut was a political
act. The new Nunavut Gov't want to operate on a single time zone in its
whole territory for both administrative and political reasons. Hence the
conundrum. "daylight saving", I do not think is the issue here.

Trust that this is of some help - Jake Knoppers