Alternative place names?

ken at halcyon.com ken at halcyon.com
Mon Oct 2 05:45:40 UTC 2000

On 27 Sep 2000 14:59:59 -0700, Paul Eggert <eggert at twinsun.com> wrote:
>Capitals are political creatures, and we are trying to avoid politics
>here as much as possible, so I don't want to give the "capitalness" of
>a city much weight.

>Paul Hill writes:
>> Someone said there is the rule: every country gets at least one entry.
>> Is this implemented in practice?  Every country including all small
>> countries that share zones (like the Caribbean)?
>
>Yes.  In hindsight this rule was probably unwise, as countries are
>also political creatures.  Not sure I want to change it now, though.

Well, the very nature of timezones is a political one, so politics
cannot be avoided entirely; since the zones are usually defined by
national laws (though perhaps deferring some details to smaller
political units, such as states/provinces/counties, etc.) I find it
reasonable to accept the polical dependencies of the the "at least
one entry per country" rule.

		--Ken Pizzini