week starts at Sunday or Monday??

Vadim Vygonets vadik at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Oct 4 08:43:44 UTC 2000

Quoth Clive D.W. Feather on Wed, Oct 04, 2000:
> Vadim Vygonets said:
> > In Hebrew, week days don't have names (except Sabbath).  They're
> > just numbered, so "First day of the week" means Sunday, no other
> > interpretation possible.  Now, these are Jewish weeks; it does
> > not answer the question whether Christian weeks start on Sunday
> > or Monday.
>
> It does as far as I'm concerned.

How?  Christian culture did not exist yet, so Luke used the
wording which could be understood by the people who lived in the
surrounding environment, i.e., Jews.  And Romans, but I have no
idea what kind of weeks Romans had, and what was the first day of
the Roman week.

Does anybody know when Christians changed their rest day from
Saturday to Sunday?  References from that time could help.  The
biggest question, of course, is whether it's Christian weeks
we're discussing here...

> > Remember that when the New Testament was written
> > Christianity did not exist as we know it, and Julian calendar was
> > not invented yet (let alone Gregorian).
>
> Caius Julius Caesar would have been surprised to hear that.

Boom.  I erred again.  My only hope is that Mr. Caesar doesn't
read this list.  But it was before Christians adopted Julian
calendar.

I always wondered which culture invented the concept of seven-day
weeks.

Vadik.

--
Taunt not the sysadmin, for he can become you and make your life
interesting.