Cyprus

Antoine Leca Antoine.Leca at renault.fr
Thu Sep 14 17:38:46 UTC 2000

Jake Knoppers wrote

> At present the "understood" rule is that "time zone entities" are referenced
> as member of only one "aggregate" entity from a time zone perspective. One
> has to keeping mind the cascade and management aspects associated with
> "classifying"a time zone entity such as Cyprus with more that one aggregate
> entities. Irrespective of what Cyprus or "tz" participants think Cyprus is
> part of, the larger issue is whether a "tz time zone entity" can be a member
> of more than one aggregate (e.g.Europe, Asia,etc.).

This issue is already decided, it seems. From current distribution:

# @(#)asia	7.56
# See the `europe' file for Russia and Turkey in Asia.

# @(#)europe	7.73
Link	Europe/Istanbul	Asia/Istanbul	# Istanbul is in both continents.

Then, I do not see where is the issue to add a new line for Cyprus, for example
like the attached patch (I have no strict feelings on the comment ;-)).

And yes, I have perfectly in mind a number of issues, and even hard problems,
that are created with the mere existence of links in the tz database. But the
addition of a new line to an already long list is not increasing significantly
the problem here.

Antoine

P.S. Apologizes to Jake to which I sent earlier privately this message
  which is obviously destined to the whole list.