Fw: (Cyprus), Nicosia is in Europe not Asia.

Dik.Winter at cwi.nl Dik.Winter at cwi.nl
Fri Sep 15 00:24:12 UTC 2000

[]
 > I realise that the tz archive should actually be following "standard
 > geographical practice" but is it not wrong to ignore basic facts such
 > as Cyprus' participation in the European arena? Cyprus is politically,
 > culturally and historically part of Europe and participates in most of
 > its institutions (it has been a full member of the Council of Europe
 > since 1961). How about Cyprus' potential future admission into the EU?

Similar claims can be made by Israel, that does not make Israel an
European country.  But I would not oppose to make Cyprus part of both
Europe and Asia, we have also Turkey in that position (but for that
country the position is of course stronger).

dik
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj  amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
home:  bovenover 215, 1025 jn  amsterdam, nederland;   http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/