Greenland - places

Oscar van Vlijmen o.van.vlijmen at tip.nl
Sun Sep 17 10:45:09 UTC 2000

Why not using the Greenlandic place names in the Europe file?

Thule: Qaanaaq
Godthåb (or even worse: Godthab, yes I know, Posix 1.0): Nuuk
Scoresbysund: Ittoqqortoormiit

Source: e.g. "Postal codes in Greenland"
(http://www.dpc.dk/Guide/PostalCodes.html) and "POSTNUMRE
Danmark/København/Grønland/Færøerne" (http://www.morslink.dk/postnr.htm).

If one doesn't like those names as zone names, just add them as a comment
(#).
Especially Ittoqqortoormiit could be a bit problematic. Although this is the
official spelling as far as I can tell, I already found two other spellings,
one of them was an error (Ittoqqortoormiut) and another was probably the
wrong Inuit dialect (Itseqqortoormiit).

Oscar van Vlijmen
2000-09-17