Eastern Peace Time

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Thu Sep 28 02:17:05 UTC 2000

"Olson, Arthur David (NCI)" <olsona at dc37a.nci.nih.gov> writes:

> Last night I heard part of a rebroadcast of a 1945 Arch Oboler radio
> drama.  In the introduction, Oboler spoke of "Eastern Peace Time."
> An AltaVista search turned up http://rowayton.org/rhs/hstaug45.html
> by way of confirmation.

Peace is such a wonderful thing!  We must put this into the database.

> ...and presumably what's needed is a line between these two such as...
> ...where h:mm is the time that the document ending the war was signed.

The document was signed on September 2, but from that web page it
appears that the radio was announcing "Eastern Peace Time" in August
1945.  Truman officially declared V-J Day on August 15, 1945.  Many
people celebrate V-J day on September 2, when the documents were
signed on the battleship Missouri, but that's not the right date for
tz purposes.

<http://www.merchant-marine.com/va--ammv.htm> says that at 0615 hours,
the US Navy ordered that all offensive operations against Japan cease;
this is the best time that I could find for the actual start of peace.

> 1.	What are the correct values for h and mm above?

I would say August 15, 1945, at 06:15 -- presumably this was EWT, so
the transition was at 10:15 Universal Time.

# Rule	NAME	FROM	TO	TYPE	IN	ON	AT	SAVE	LETTER/S
Rule	US	1945	only	-	Aug	15	10:15u	1:00	P # Peace (V-J Day)

I'll put this into my next proposed batch of changes.