Another capital

Dik.Winter at cwi.nl Dik.Winter at cwi.nl
Thu Sep 28 23:29:40 UTC 2000

 >> Welkom en welkom gefeliciteerd in deez' wonderschone hoofdstad van ons land!
 >> Congratulations! You live in the real and formal capital of the Netherlands.
 >> The Dutch government has its seat in The Hague (Den Haag, 's-Gravenhage).

 > Which makes it the capital by both the English meaning of the word (Webster)
 > and the Dutch meaning of the word (van Dale).  Note that when I was at school
 > we were taught that The Hague was the capital, while the only claim to fame
 > of Amsterdam was that Kings and Queens would be crowned there.

Forgot to mention something.  You talk about "formal capital", but that can
only be the case if it is written down somewhere in the legislation, but
there is nothing about that anywhere.  My (Dutch) encyclopedia (which
postdates my schooldays by quite some years) says: "Generally Amsterdam is
seen as the capital of the Netherlands although the seat of government is
in The Hague."  Note that this implies that it is not universal, nor that
it would actually be correct.

dik