finding tz-link.htm and other documentation....

Neal McBurnett nealmcb at avaya.com
Thu Apr 19 21:08:56 UTC 2001

Thanks to you all for a great database and set of tools!

I found your ftp site pretty easily, but it took a surprisingly long
time for me to find the best information, i.e. tz-link.htm, buried in
the tzcode.tar.gz.  It isn't mentioned directly at the FTP site, in
the tzcode README, or anywhere at all in any of the tzdata files.  I
read all the man pages, etc.  and just didn't get to tz-link.htm until
I had played on-and-off for a few days.  Of course it might have
occurred to me that a .htm file would be useful, but the name just didn't
grab me.

To aid future explorers (especially those without tar, etc), could you
keep the latest copy of tz-link.htm on the cannonical ftp site at
ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ and mention it in the tzcode README file?

The tzdata database itself never mentions the ftp site at all.  It
would be helpful to either include a tiny README, or a comment in each
tzdata file, to point to the ftp site and tz-link.htm.

A README at the ftp site would be handy to indicate what all the other
files there are.

Finally, tzselect is also a useful solution to a common problem, and
should be mentioned in tz-link.htm and the README, I think.

Thanks again,

Neal McBurnett <nealmcb at avaya.com>  303-538-4852 Denver
http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/        (with GPG/PGP keys)
Avaya Inc: http://www.avaya.com/