Updated Australian time zone names/strings

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Sat Apr 21 00:42:08 UTC 2001

> From: Robert Elz <kre at munnari.OZ.AU>
> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:36:47 +0700

> about the only thing I can see worth doing to the code/data might be
> to provide an option (set via an env var, or some other way -
> perhaps even something as crude as the perms on the tzdata file
> being used) which would cause the tz abbreviations to be always
> returned as a string like "+1000" (ie: the code does an sprintf of
> the offset, and that is what is returned as the abbreviation, rather
> than the EST thing).

OK, how about this idea?  If TZ='Australia/Sydney:' then use numeric
abbreviations.  The basic idea is to append a suffix that cannot
possibly be part of a portable POSIX file name.  Later on we could add
other suffixes (perhaps after the ':') for other extensions.

The latest POSIX draft adds support for numeric abbreviations.  For
example, TZ='<+1000>-10<+1100>,M10.5.0,M3.5.0/3' would be appropriate
for those in Sydney who want to use next-generation POSIX-style TZ
strings that generate "+1000" instead of "EST".  Since POSIX is adding
support for "+1000", it might be nice if the Olson extension added
similar support.