TZ database content

Syed Sajjath Syed.Sajjath at wcom.com
Fri Feb 9 17:32:02 UTC 2001

I have a request regarding zone names.  It would be very helpful for me if
there is a separate file with
Country Name,
Zone  short name (like ET),
Zone Long Name(Eastern Time),
Zone Summer short Name(EDT),
Zone Summer Long Name (Eastern DayLight Time),
Zone standard short Name(EST),
Zone standard Long Name(Eastern Standard Time)
GMT Offset (Standard)
Currently used indicator (this will indicate if the timezone is just for
historical purposes)

Even though Zone names are not standard, our tz list can agree upon some
standard names and use the same abbreviations.  I am sure there are others
also who are interested in such a file.  I will gladly volunteer some of my
time to prepare the initial file, if the list agrees that this is an useful
feature, and any future changes to tzdata will be reflected in this file
also.  Each timezone abbreviation used in the tzdata must be the same as
Zone Short Name of the reference file.

P.S. The above file format makes it easy for me to load the file straight
onto my application database.  Suggestions are welcome.  I also understand
that this may not be the part of the original intention (can someone also
please explain what the aim of tz database is), but all the same it will be
very useful for folks who need the data in database format and write their
own functions to interpret it.

Thanks,
-Syed
(v.398-4015)