Microsoft Timezone User Interface

Antoine Leca Antoine.Leca at renault.fr
Fri Feb 9 18:17:14 UTC 2001

Srinivas Nagaraj wrote:

> The Microsoft Windows Time Zone User Interface allows you to
> use (with a check box) daylight savings in all time zones where
> applicable.
>
> I was wondering as to why they made that a user modifiable option?

Some ideas:

1) because it is convenient for the kernel to have an external variable
that says "hey, you'll have to worry about DST changes" (or "you won't").
At least, it saves about 100 cycles while booting up!

2) because in some places the surrounding DST rules are not observed
(like in Indiana), or stop to be observed. In this case, it is easy
for the end user to just uncheck the mark in the user interface.
(and Yes, I know that Indiana is so famous around Redmond, WA that it
deserves its own named timezone in MS registry).

Antoine