etcetera patch

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Fri Feb 9 22:03:50 UTC 2001

Thanks for pointing this out.  Apparently this bug was introduced in
the Great TZ Renaming of 1994, but nobody has noticed it until now.
I'll draft a proposed fix in my next patch.

Draft 5 of the next version of POSIX will let you say, for example,
TZ='<GMT+6>-6' in order to get a time zone named "GMT+6" that is 6
hours ahead of UTC.  Once support for this is added, "TZ=Etc/GMT+6"
will be completely obsolete.